Monday, February 10, 2014

Mwenga Safari

Our journey to Mwenga was scheduled to begin at 7:00am. The weather was perfect as we left the city at 8:30. Thankfully we were to take a “good road” today, so no worries. This was my first trip into the interior of Congo and I was looking forward to the experience.

Our “good road” was not paved, but a well travelled dirt road with many villages. We met other vehicles so I assumed we were not far off the beaten trail.

In every village, I think there is a young child designated to cry out for the benefit of ENTIRE village.......”MUZUNGU” (white person) so that all villagers can properly observe the progress of this unusual entity through their community! 

As the morning wore on, our road got narrower and the ruts got deeper. Approximately 2/3 of our trip was uphill.....you need to understand my aversion to heights!

Then we arrived at the turnoff road to Mwenga....
This road seemed to have had it’s own special rainfall? I just kept in mind that “this is a good road”! When the edge of the road suddenly became a sheer drop down the mountain....”this is a good road”......when the 4X4 slithered sideways seeking traction....”this is a good road”.....In truth, I have been on worse roads, but this one will remain memorable!

We continued our trek with single mindedness, past the motorcycle, parked in the middle of the road, to cast aside the surplus parts that had fallen off......on and on....

Our expedition was beginning to seem endless, when we arrived in Mwenga! What a beautiful place. (Thanks to my intolerance for high temperatures, the church board is careful to book only cold places for me to teach in.)  Mwenga is situated between 2 mountains, and certainly qualifies. Not a happy condition for those with the courage to accompany me!
The safari took 3 1/2 hours and covered 90K.


No comments:

Post a Comment