Monday, February 10, 2014

Mwenga - day 2

When we arrived at our accommodation, an old missionary house (the house is old, not the missionary) The cook stove is a miniature wood stove, with no chimney! The window and door in the kitchen were kept open, to no avail. Smoke filled the kitchen and the house, leaving the locals to assume that all mzungu have pink eyes. We had two options, stand outside in the cold windy night, or inside with the smoke. We took both options in brief intervals.

Then next morning, when heavy fog billowed into the classroom windows, I thought we had left the stove burning!

Had a great class time! I asked them how many had travelled more that 5K?.....most of them! 10K?....still a large number....I got as far as 20K before someone stood up to explain that they had walked very far, even 40K, to attend! WOW!

OK, the day after we topped that with 50K+ ! The commitment of these pastors is unequaled in my experience. On Saturday, the last class, the lead pastor requested that we pray for a pastor friend of theirs. The poor man’s wife had died, suddenly, 2 days earlier. As I prepared to pray, a man came forward to kneel at the front.....it was his wife and he was here in class......in fact, I don’t think he missed a day!!!


I have no words....

No comments:

Post a Comment