Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Monday, March 14

Habari za asubuhi.......Good morning to all my invisible friends!
It’s a beautiful day here. i think it is going to be quite hot again.
I am sorry for causing concern. I don’t have internet availability yet. I do have a cell phone, but I used up my minutes! I hope to send out a message today. Don’t worry, I am doing very well! I am well cared for, safe, well protected, and rested. (No, my dear Mother, no one has kidnapped me! I have put out the word that we are Scottish, so they all know that ransom is out of the question!! Even here, our reputation precedes us!)     Interesting....all banking is done on paper, as are gov’t records etc. They even add the account information manually. It is unusual to see a bank teller adding sums on paper.
    Had a new fruit today, some day I may have a name for you, but that is not today!  An acquired taste I think.
    Should be leaving shortly to do some banking. They now have RBC, and debit machines! Now to see if they work internationally? Then off to CEPC head offices. We have started the process for a resident visa. The only question remaining is.......can I get my passport back from Kinshasa (other side of the country) in time to leave? In the absence of said passport, they will provide me with a document to cover me while in Congo, but then, I cannot leave the country. So, the stakes are high, we need more information, so that I won’t be job hunting! I

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and praying for you today Doreen. Glad that you are well rested and cared for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're having an adventure of a lifetime out there mom. we are praying for you and you friends and family out there. dunc wants me to let you know that he's reading your blogs with me now. just in case you're wondering, hhaha! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doreen, this is the 3rd comment I am trying to post. I know it's my age. Ben says I need a mac. I did try to post a picture of myself & Ervin so we wouldn't be your invisible friends but that didn't work either. I'm sure you will remain our invisible friend also. So glad the roads in the congo don't spoil all the good things the country has to offer. I have been a follower of your blog since last week but I'm on a slow learning curve. Love eunice

    ReplyDelete